.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

AgnostoLibertarianTechnoGeek

Thursday, June 09, 2005

One reason I'm not more on board with LRC

LewRockwell.com has some good writers, Anthony Gregory being one of my favorites. However, the site also has a very Christian bent to it. I was just turned on to the American Taliban list by Ruth over at Chaos Theory (due to an old Ann Coulter quote). One of the people listed there is Gary North, who also writes for LRC. Now I know he often writes about various Christian-related things over there, and these articles I usually just bypass. But some of his quotes listed here were disturbing (to me), so I googled him and found a page of quotes attributed to him over at BrainyQuote. It's things like this which raise my hackles just a tad:
The long-term goal of Christians in politics should be to gain exclusive control over the franchise. Those who refuse to submit publicly to the eternal sanctions of God by submitting to His Church's public marks of the covenant - baptism and holy communion - must be denied citizenship, just as they were in ancient Israel.
...
So let us be blunt: we must use the doctrine of religious liberty to gain independence for Christian schools until we train up a generation of people who know that there is no religious neutrality... Then they will get busy in constructing a Bible-based social, political and religious order which finally denies the religious liberties of the enemies of God.
...
Is it a criminal offense to take the name of the Lord in vain? When people curse their parents, it unquestionably is a capital crime (Ex. 21:17). The son or daughter is under the lawful jurisdiction of the family. The integrity of the family must be maintained by the threat of death. Clearly, cursing God (blasphemy) is a comparable crime, and is therefore a capital crime (Lev. 24:16).

I don't know if these are actual quotes of his, but I don't really doubt it, and it's knowing that LRC pays someone like this for his columns that makes me give a little more credence to those who say that LRC is a bunch of Christian wackos. Sorry Anthony.

In a sense, I suppose it's nice when people who are completely against freedom of speech and religion are so open about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home