.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

AgnostoLibertarianTechnoGeek

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Intelligent science humor

It should come as no surprise to my loyal throngs of readers (no, not my readers' thongs, get your mind out of the gutter), that I am something of a geek. Check the moniker -- it's up there.

Anyway, I came across a brilliant series of blog postings entitled "A Brief Brief History of Time" (borrowing from Stephen Hawking's similarly-titled book). LiveJournal poster QueenNell has put together a thoroughly enjoyable yet thoroughly accurate history of science. Numerous smiles have been plastered on my face upon reading these postings. The fact that it is peppered with Anglo slang makes it even more amusing to me.

Here's a brief sample that doesn't come close to doing it justice -- you really need to read complete entries. From Chatper 2, "How I Stopped Worrying About Absolute Time and Learned to Love Relativity"
Aristotle: *waves* Hi kids. Me again.

The Universe: And what are you going to get wrong this time?

Aristotle: Well, I was thinking about bodies.

Mrs Aristotle: *twats Aristotle one with ancient Greek handbag* And I bet they weren’t mine, eh?

Aristotle: STFU, darling. Anyway, I meant bodies as in objects. I was thinking that stuff should only move when you move it, and stay still the rest of the time.

Mrs Aristotle: *makes crazy signs at Aristotle* Yes? Isn’t that kinda obvious?

The Universe: *jumps up and down* OMG! You are so far out it’s not even funny!

Aristotle: And that when you drop a heavy thing, it should fall faster than a light thing.

Mrs Aristotle: Is that it? That’s a whole drachma’s worth of philosophy?

Aristotle: Quality ideas them, don’t get many of them to the pound.

The Universe: *sighs and gives up on Aristotle*

Brilliant stuff. My link up above will bring you to the table of contents for her ten chapters, of which I've only gone through six so far. Or you can go straight to chapter one.

Anyone who's interested in a history of science which is more accessible than A Brief History of Time should consider Coming of Age in the Milky Way by Timothy Ferris.It is concerned more exclusively with astronomy and astrophysics than science in general, but Ferris is a wonderful writer and really brings to life the process by which humanity learned its place in the universe.

2 Comments:

  • Brilliant indeed!!Thanks for the link.

    I never could get into A Brief History of Time, but kept thinking I *should* read it.

    By Anonymous suze, at 6:15 PM  

  • Very good - a lot of ot was over my head I have to admit! There are a lot of really creative people on the internet for sure.

    By Anonymous Ruth, at 2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home