.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

AgnostoLibertarianTechnoGeek

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

I, Unbeliever

As attested to by the "Agnosto" portion of my blog title, I am a non-believer in things deity-related. I was checking out some of the (depressingly light) traffic which has come to my site, and one of the search terms which led here had something to do with secular humanism, and pointed to this post of mine. One of the other pages which came up under the same search results was, not surprisingly, at secularhumanism.org -- a great article concerning ten myths about secular humanism.

In my travels around Google with this search, I found myself coming upon the source of one of my favorite non-believer quotes:
I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

       -- Stephen F Roberts

I love that one.

3 Comments:

  • Great athiest quote!

    I've never believed in a "God" but I do believe in "spirit". Not ghosts, but energy, continuity, progression, connecting us and all "out there".

    I think our human tendency to believe in "something" is a tool for survival. Joseph Cambell taught that we are hollow without our myths.

    By Anonymous Garnt, at 11:30 PM  

  • That's nice. It's good to believe in meaningless slogans. Care to define what any one of those things actually means?

    I once got into an online exchange with someone going on and on about "energy", and I asked him to define it, quantify it. How can it be measured? What, specifically is it? Is it chemical? Electromagnetic? The exchange went back forth a little while without the questions being directly addressed, until I was finally told "Energy can not be defined!"

    As I said, it must be nice to believe in something meaningless.

    By Blogger David, at 11:38 PM  

  • What's weird to me is that many believers want so much for other peeps also to believe. WHY? If you're convinced the God stuff is true, then why do you care if I don't believe it? I wonder if a lot of them are, ultimately, insecure about the whole thing and suspect it's bunk. Having more people going, "Yeah, yeah, this is the way it is! For sure! Those non-believers are all going to Hell, yep!" makes them feel better, perhaps.

    By Blogger Paula, at 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home