.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

AgnostoLibertarianTechnoGeek

Monday, December 06, 2004

What drives your life?

One of the sites I keep coming across in my travels through the BlogExplosionosphere is titled "Reflections of a Business-Driven Life". Every time I read that title (I can't bring myself to read any articles in a site with that title), I'm saddened. Saddened by the fact that anyone would let business drive his or her life. No disrespect intended to the owner / author of that particular site; if business is your thing, then enjoy. But of late, I have emerged from a situation where the "business-driven life" was the norm, and was expected. I am happy that I am no longer involved in that situation. In my current situation, "life" is the norm. Life outside of business. Life lived for the purpose of living for oneself and/or one's family. Where the purpose of employment is to provide the means by which one can support one's life, not to provide the purpose or motivation or drive for life.

I am saddened by those for whom business provides the drive for his or her life.

Anyone else's thoughts?

5 Comments:

  • "Productive work is the central purpose of a rational man's life, the central value that integrates and determines the hierarchy of all his other values."
    - Ayn Rand

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:17 PM  

  • How sweet. Yet another reason for not basing my life's philosophy on Randism. I refuse to consider myself irrational for placing an immeasurably higher value on those whom I love than on any "productive work" I may perform. In fact, the most productive work that I can conceive is the raising of my children and loving my family. Does that turn me into (to use Rand's terminology) a "mystic" or a "whim worshipper", or am I "blanking out" in some fashion? No, I simply have different values, and as a rational being, I may value things differently than another person.

    By Blogger David, at 7:53 PM  

  • Hi David. No, that doesn't make you a "whim worshipper!"

    Productive work can mean anything from raising a family, a romantic relationship etc. Rand also said that man's happiness was his highest goal or something like that. If business is one's highest goal then so be it. Randroids often trip up of this one in my opinion.

    Ruth, Freudian Slippers

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:40 PM  

  • I agree with Ruth. And with David.

    By Blogger Harvey Morrell, at 9:46 AM  

  • I probably would agree with very little else you had to say -from the title of your blog;) but I have to say I agree with you on this.

    I think you are right on.

    By Blogger Ilona, at 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home