.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

AgnostoLibertarianTechnoGeek

Monday, December 20, 2004

Postscript 2

To those who believe that I hold a "pre-9/11" mindset, and that the towers coming down should have changed my opinions on how my government conducts itself, bear in mind that I was working in Manhattan on 9/11, and I watched the towers burning, the second plane crash and explosion, and the collapse of both the towers directly from my office window on East 28th Street, not from the safety of a television screen. I feared for my life. My greatest fear at the moment was that another plane would hit the Empire State Building, much closer to my location. I watched the streams of thousands of soot-covered people walking away from ground zero. I waited for the train restrictions to be lifted late in the afternoon so I could go home that day, or I would have been stranded. The company I worked for set up a pool of people who had apartments in the city, in case anyone couldn't get home. I had friends in the police department and fire departments who lost dozens of friends and coworkers. The column of smoke rising from the ground lasted for days and was visible for miles around. For weeks afterwards, I saw the thousands of flyers plastered on walls throughout Manhattan from friends and relatives with photos of missing loved ones. I worked a block away from the Armory where the injured were tended, and where hopeful people would come, looking for any sign that someone missing would turn up. So to anyone who believes I am being too intellectual in my opinions and not putting a human face to things: you don't know what you're talking about.

2 Comments:

  • No-one knows you from Adam's housecat, yet they go on judgment sprees. Medieval rabble. As Rand said, one should not go into arguments with irrationalists. A lesson I'm still learning!

    Ruth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:13 AM  

  • It is very sad and annoying that a bunch of crazy Saudis flew airliners into building and killed 3,000 people on 9/11
    However, to put it into perspective there are 20,000 murders and 40,000 road deaths per year in the USA. No one seems to get very excited about that.

    Frank

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home