.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

AgnostoLibertarianTechnoGeek

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

NaNoWriMo? No.

I have nothing against the concept or participants in the National Novel Writing Month effort, but it just wasn't for me. It was interesting and coincidental that I had started writing my own novel shortly before NaNoWriMo started, before I had ever heard of it. I am now about two weeks and thirteen thousand words into my effort, which I guesstimate will run somewhere around 100,000 words. For all those first time novelists out there: keep up the good work, and stay motivated. I'm striving to do the same.

UPDATE: 11/10/2004, slightly after midnight... another evening's worth of work, another thousand words. Seems like the thousand-word-per-day target is a good number. Just passed the 14,000 word mark, and I'm calling it a night.

UPDATE: 11/11/2004, once again slightly after midnight... I had to push myself, but I pounded out another thousand words. Just past 15,000 words now. The plot is introducing more and more complications, but is it going anywhere interesting? The wife, who has been reading it as I've been writing, says she's definitely intrigued and wants to know what happens, and this definitely isn't a genre she's interested in, so I guess I'm doing ok...

UPDATE: 11/12/2004... unfortunately couldn't write any more of the story tonight. I had to take a step back and actually outline what I've done so far. I've introduced many plot points already, and I have to be able to keep track of them and make sure they form a coherent whole. I don't believe that every thread needs to necessarily run somewhere (red herrings can be good things), however, everything that happens should at least be consistent.

3 Comments:

  • Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog and clearing thins up about an earlier post. I appreciate it. You have a great blog and the posts are truly interesting. Have a great day.

    Dariana
    http://dariana.tblog.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:27 AM  

  • Really great blog! Good mix of stuff, solid read. I'll be back.


    Alex

    http://thewanderingmind.blogspot.com/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:43 PM  

  • Hi, David!

    Great blog. :) I know exactly what you mean about keeping your plot coherent. Consistency is imporantant, although sometimes the characters can take on minds of their own. Good luck!

    Deborah
    http://bumpsthumpsandboos.modblog.com

    By Blogger Deborah Woehr, at 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home