.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

AgnostoLibertarianTechnoGeek

Sunday, November 07, 2004

Everyone falls into one of two categories

Either you're the type of person who groups people into one of two categories, or...

Anyway, here's an incomplete list of categories of blogs I've come across over at BlogExplosion:

  • Mommy blogs
  • Knitting blogs (knitting blogs? yes, knitting blogs)
  • Political blogs
    • Replublicans and/or Conservatives, gloating
    • Democrats and/or Liberals whining and/or not understanding how 59MM people could be so stupid
    • Marginal, non party affiliated types, saying "a pox on both your houses"
  • Humorous (or attempted humorous) blogs
  • Random, "this is what I did today", LiveJournal-type blogs
  • Photo blogs (probably my favorite unexpected discovery (the more artistic ones, not the ones which have half a dozen pictures of their kids or cats))
  • A smattering of business blogs
About 1/3 of these have listed the results of a "What kind of <category> are you?" poll, with related graphic. Are you a "Pundit Blogger", or a "Life Blogger"? Which character on South Park are you? Which type of cheese are you? Ok, I didn't really see that one, but you would have believed me, admit it.

Interestingly, before November 1, I had seen a bunch of bloggers writing about the imminent National Novel Writing Month, wherein participants were supposed to write a 50,000 word novel within the span of a month. Here is part of their credo, from nanowrimo.org:
Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over talent and craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved.

Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down.

Yup, you read right. Just go out and spew drivel. Feel good about it. Garbage is good. Hey, you'll be in good company; *all* the participants will be writing crap!

Sorry, but if and when I end up writing something, I'm not going to give myself an aritificial deadline just to force myself to put out something. But good luck with that.

The amusing thing is that since the official time period started (Nov. 1), I haven't seen much actual writing. I mean, aren't people supposed to be publishing their, um, stuff, up here in the blogosphere, so all the others can feel good about themselves also?

Just a passing observation, thassall...

5 Comments:

  • Here through Blog Explosion.

    For NaNoWriMo you aren't REQUIRED to put your stuff online, but you DO have to submit it to NaNoWriMo so that they can give you a "Finished!" button when you get to the 50,000 word mark.

    As for me, I am a mommy-what I did today blogger. =)

    Jaynee
    http://www.cootiehog.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:12 PM  

  • Also here through blog explosion. For that national writing thing you're supposed to reach an artifical word count not because you're trying to write drivel, just because you're trying to write. Give it a shot, its harder than it looks.

    http://amatern.weblogs.us

    By Blogger Andreas, at 6:51 PM  

  • Actually, Andreas, I'm two weeks and twelve thousand words into what I'm currently writing. If I wrote any faster than that, it *would* be drivel. For me, at least, creativity takes a little time.

    I'm guesstimating that when I'm done, I'll have more or less 100,000 words of (hopefully) publishable material.

    By Blogger David, at 7:16 PM  

  • thank you for mentioning my site. ;)

    pixeltigris

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:33 PM  

  • Hi, how are things my friend?

    I just bought a new Aston Martin DB7 Thanks to money making software !

    I only worked 1,5 months with this money making software

    Regards and lots of money!

    http://www.superblogsubmitter.com

    Isn't it time for you to get money making software

    Newest and most innovative money making software

    By Anonymous super advertising, at 1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home