.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

AgnostoLibertarianTechnoGeek

Monday, July 05, 2004

Was that Neil Lifeson or Geddy Peart? Perhaps Alex Lee?

I have a Google news alert set up which should send me all news mentions of Rush. I had to set it up to find all items which reference "Lifeson", because setting one up for "Rush" would get me everything for Limbaugh, which I certainly don't want to receive. So anyway, I receive an alert every day or two, currently having to do either with the new Rush EP "Feedback" or their current thirtieth anniversary tour. I leave it to the reader to figure out why I found this particular little item amusing...
RUSH
"Feedback"
Two and a half stars
Atlantic

Even if you loath the Rush sound, you have to give this Canadian trio respect for theirability to give their fans 30 years of the music they love.

This anniversary collection celebrates those three decades with a cover album of the band's favorite '60s songs, and it's the first time Rush has ever recorded anything except original music.

Singer Geddy Lee's voice can be as annoying as nails on slate, yet the band has selected songs that actually fit his high pitch, such as the Yardbirds' "Heart Full of Soul" and Buffalo Springfield' s "For What It's Worth" and "Mr. Soul."

While drummer Alex Lifeson and guitarist Neil Peart have a blast with power rockers like "Summertime Blues" and "Crossroads," those numbers don't work as well with Lee's vocals.

Obviously, the reviewer is not terribly enamored of Rush, even though he does try to give them their props (I hope I used that term correctly).

1 Comments:

  • what a shock... a member of the music critic community not liking Rush.

    Comments like those about Geddy's voice means the reviewer hasn't listened to anything post Hemispheres.

    whatever. I thought Feedback was a blast, considering I was really worried about it when I heard it.

    Ta,

    By Blogger Tom L, at 4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home