.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

AgnostoLibertarianTechnoGeek

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Moral relativity run amok?

Educating Oscar: Snakeheads at Starbucks
'Beheading and stoning are acceptable forms of execution in Arabic cultures,' I explained. 'It pisses me off when the media pundits in this country start calling the perpetrators `savage' and `barbaric.' It's just a different culture.'
Dunno about that one Rodger. I think we can ascribe barbarism to certain practices. By your definition, nothing is barbaric, as long as it is a "norm" within that culture. I think there is a culture of humanity, within which we can universally define certain things as barbaric or unacceptable. And beheading a human who has not violated your rights in any way is, in my view, unacceptable and barbaric.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home