.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

AgnostoLibertarianTechnoGeek

Friday, May 21, 2004

Draft = slavery

There is a movement afoot to reinstate the military draft. When I first heard this, it sent chills down my spine. Not for myself -- I am too old for the draft. For my children. In a scant few years, they will be of "draftable" age. I will not allow that to occur. I do not mean I will oppose the draft; I mean I will do everything humanly possible to prevent them from being conscripted.

Don't Bring Slavery Back to America by Anthony Gregory
Even if you still aren't convinced that the draft should be called slavery - because of some strange technical definition of 'slavery' from which the government is for some reason categorically exempt - 'mandatory service' is undeniably synonymous with 'involuntary servitude,' which is supposed to be illegal in America.


Section 1 of the thirteenth amendment to the U.S. Constitution:
Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.


Aaron Russo, Libertarian presidential candidate is sponsoring a petition to stop the draft before it begins. I have signed, and everyone else who truly believes in freedom should as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home